Wednesday, April 10, 2013

LETTERS FROM PRISON


I have a dear friend named Eulie. We met two years ago through Letters 4 the Lord, a Christian pen pal Ministry serving inmates across the United States. She lives a long way from my home in Wisconsin and chances are we will never meet. Eulie's letters enrich my life. I've asked her to share some of her writing:



PAST . . . .FORWARD

Today I am still haunted by my past. Every month has a valuable and significant meaning. Whether it is a birthday, an anniversary, an insignificant holiday, flowers blooming, or the scent of baby powder. Reflecting on family gatherings the present days changes absolutely nothing. What was then has tainted my present and possibly my future.

There is a speck. . . . a distant hint of light at the end of my tunnel. Could it be wishful thinking or is it because of my spectacles that bring clarity to view. I choose to believe the glare and shadow ahead leads to my new destination.

My past is a lesson learned. I am armed with incredible strength. This strength overwhelms me with power of the mind. Unidentifiable and shapeless buttons that are beyond anyone's reach, unless I actually point it out.

Consequences are like a mine. I am cautioned by every step taken by not willing to detonate. Since being boxed-in is not an attraction to my destiny.

Hope is my new-found alliance. Optimism fuels and energizes my mere existence in this temporary setting. Thank God for hope and new awaited beginnings.



FAITH

Since everyone and everything has been taken away from me, I now have faith in God. That's bending it a little if you will. You see, I was raised to believe that certain images would bring fruits, blessings, and protection into my life. Rituals if you will, at the ceremonies, the dances, chants, sacrificing of certain animals and other traditional performances was supposed to please these gods. Little did I know that my soul was offered to Satan without my permission.

Who does such a thing? Did you know that Satan can perform miracles? So he is the father of lies and illusions. I wonder if my mother and grandmother knew of the consequences that were ahead. Generational curses.

It used to be so easy to believe in the nothingness and of the one that rules the world. Just light a yellow or white unscented candle. Make the request before the gods, as if it had the power to intercede for anyone. Write down the name of the subject in question seven times, then prepare a feast for the gods.Set it up in a vacant room because the gods are greedy and selfish with the food. Drums and a few other instruments to play and entice a dancer to spin and move about erotic or just let loose. And before you know it the dark spirit has invaded the dancer's soul. The sacrificing of the goats or chicken never made any sense because afterwards the animal's corpse just laid out in the opening so the flies can feast on it. No proper burial.

Today I have faith in God - Jesus Christ my Lord and personal Savior. All that I had to do is believe in Jesus and repent. No sacrifices, ritual, un-devoured feast, worshipping false gods, images or idols.

Now that's bending it and it feels exhilarating.



ALL OF A SUDDEN . . .
My sadness has reached its plateau.
Dare me to claim healing and victory as my own.
All of a sudden I'm smiling again and it's because of you. 
You shed an inexplicable cheer in the atmosphere.
My heart embraces the wave of energy that seeps from you.
The smile that was once strained, now comes effortlessly.
All of a sudden, I found my best friend.
Hope eludes me and it denied my countless appeals.
Yet, I am still optimistic and convinced of a second chance.
All of a sudden, hope has a new identity.
Nothing is permanent in life.
The elongated tunnel that was pitch black
Is now luminous and vibrant.
All of a sudden, darkness breeds sparks of light.
Your presence ignites precaution because
He that rules the world wants to deprive me of such. . .
The inevitable yearns for justice.
All of a sudden, liberty resounds in my thoughts.
And all of a sudden . . . . 

Copyright 2013, Eulie P., Published with permission of the author. 

* * * * *
For more stories written by women in prison visit:

No comments:

Post a Comment