Sunday, May 26, 2013

Prison Ministry: Write a Letter - Save a Life

Screen Beans character holding mail and jumping for joy 



When I first signed up for a prison pen pal with Letters 4 The Lord, a ministry in Harrah, Oklahoma, I was a bit skeptical. Even though I had been working with women offenders in jail ministry, I was not sure I wanted to communicate with someone I'd never met.

I was given two names: Nancy who is now back home and connects with me on Facebook. and Eulie who is serving life in a southern state. Eulie and I have been writing for about 2 years and I must say, it is one of the most gratifying volunteer positions I have ever experienced.

I once heard;, "You can save a life by writing to someone in prison." I don't know if that's true, but here is an excerpt from one of Eulie's letters to me:

"One of the best things about having a good friend during this journey is all the grace you get. For instance, I'm guilty of my charge, yet you have compassion towards me, the accused. A godly, good friend that is not hardly phased by the sensational reports on me. I just can't begin to express my gratitude. Each of your correspondences makes me feel as though an arm has been put around me. Your mere presence "via mail" in my life speaks volumes. I pray that you find the truth in my words and writings . It's important to me that you witness my weakness and brokenness first hand and as long as God permits - that you stick by me. I thank you for reflecting God's grace."

If Christ has put it on your heart to "visit him in prison," please consider a pen pal. It's easy, it costs the price of a stamp, it will change your life and the life of another person.

Linda


* * * * *
Learn more about prison ministry at::

No comments:

Post a Comment