Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas Blessing

I had a wonderful surprise today. I met with a woman who wrote her story for my upcoming book, "The Women of Block 12: Voices From A Jail Ministry." Her name is Tesa and she was referred by a "graduate" from my Wednesday Evening Creative Writing group at the jail.

Tesa and I had talked on the phone several times. Today, we met at a local Subway Shop so she could finalize giving me permission to use her work. When she walked in I realized, by her greeting, that she knew me. Then it registered. Tesa had been in the group WAY BACK when it started about 7 years ago!

It's hard to remember all the names and faces. My partner, Jean and I have met hundreds of inmates over the years....and they look so different when I meet them on the street. For one thing, they're not dressed in orange. Sometimes they even have makeup on.

Tesa looks beautiful and healthy. She's a wonderful writer (watch for her story in my book). She's going to school to get her degree in AODA counseling so she can help others. And she plans to continue until she gets her doctorate.

For those of you in prison ministry (or those who are thinking about it), remember God works through you to help people heal. His work is never a waste of your time.

Thank you, Tesa, for hanging in there, for your courage, for the gifts you share.

Thank you for this Christmas Blessing.

Linda

* * * * *

For more information about my upcoming book, http://www.TheWomenOfBlock12.com.
* * * * *

1 comment:

  1. I don't believe in coincidence and it is definitely not a coincidence that I was recently approached about prison ministry with my church. Hmmm...
    A creative writing group, huh?

    ReplyDelete