Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Growing In Adversity - by guest blogger Joy

It's been a life-changing experience, getting into trouble with the law. It's not always fair, but as I look back, God had to sit me still for awhile so I could get out of myself and get into His perfect will for my life. Not only did God reveal His love for me, He showed me that He needed this time to change me and my thinking. As I wait to hear from the judge for a sentence reduction, I wait with patience because I know (if it's not God's will) I can trust Him to work all things out- even the financial burden of GPS (the bracelet). I am determined to advance and grow, even through this.

There are so many people, including me, who get stuck in life's hard spots. I was either too scared or too bitter to move through the hardships. Instead, I wanted the Lord to remove the trial, but it doesn't always work that way.

How a person responds to hardship reveals his or her true character. Hard times are when God's people most need to match actions to words. It's easy to say, "I trust God" or "My Lord is faithful" when life is good, but unless we recognize that He is sovereign, even in adversity, the same lips will complain and seek pity - which I was totally doing. So, I turned my eyes on God's faithfulness and His Word and He has given me peace.

In order to conquer adversity, we must begin moving through it. It is essential for a suffering believer to surrender to God's will. We may not know what the purpose is. We certainly won't like the pain, and we definitely want the situation to change - FAST. But giving God free rein allows Him to mature our faith, conform us to the likeness of His Son, and fulfill His unique plan for our lives.

So I consider it pure joy going through whatever I have to - to become all that He wants me to be. I no longer try to change the situation I'm in. I try to change my attitude toward it. I'm still a work in progress and I will never give up again and go back to my old life. I know God has a plan and is going to use me for His Glory - and I surrender to that. Thank you, again, for all your prayers!

* * * * *

For more information and stories about women offenders visit: http://www.TheWomenOfBlock12.com.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment