Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Will You Pray For Me?

Sometimes I take a small spiral notebook to the jail and pass it around the table. I tell the women they can write down their prayer requests and I will pray for them during the coming week. Each woman uses a page for her desired prayers, then turns the page over and passes the book on. They are very respectful of each other's privacy and no one sneaks a peek at another person's page.

One by one the pages are filled with the most heart-breaking stories.
"Pray for my mom who is getting chemotherapy."
"Please take care of my children while I'm away."
"Pray that the judge will be fair when I go to trial."
"Let there be peace in Block 12."
"Pray that my boyfriend doesn't give away all my possessions."
"My teenage daughter ran away. Pray she will come home."
"My son is having trouble in school and I'm not there to help him."
"Pray that my children will not forget me."
"I'm 60 years old. I'm afraid I will die in prison."


Those of us in prison and jail ministry often feel powerless because we can't change the circumstances of the people we serve. Corrie ten Boom once said, "A man is powerful on his knees."

* * * * *

More about the women of Block 12 at: http://www.TheWomenOfBlock12.com.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment